REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA
ON PUBLIC SERVICE
8 July 1999 No VIII – 1316
Article 9. Requirements for the Recruitment to the Civil Service
1. Persons entering the Civil Service shall be subject to the following requirements:
1) Lithuanian citizenship and a command of the Lithuanian language. These requirements shall be waived in the cases referred to in paragraphs 4 and 5 of this Article;
2) the age limit: the minimum shall be 18 years, and the maximum shall be the retirement age as set forth in the Law on State Social Insurance Pensions. The requirement with regard to the retirement age shall be waived for civil servants of political (personal) confidence and for acting civil servants, as well as for public employees, performing economic or technical functions;
3) education necessary for discharging the duties of a public servant of an appropriate category;
4) completion of the primary military service pursuant to the Law on the Military Service. This requirement shall be waived for persons subject to conscription who have been excused from it in the cases and manner stipulated by the law, as well as for persons for whom it has been postponed or replaced by an alternative service.
2. Completion of the initial training programme for civil servants shall be a precondition for applicants seeking appointment by public competition to the positions of civil servants of the grade which is higher than the lowest grade of a particular category.
3. Completion of an appropriate training programme of the Lithuanian Institute of Public Administration or an equivalent programme shall be a precondition for applicants seeking appointment to the positions of the highest grades of civil servants. Positions subject to this requirement shall be determined by the Government.
4. The Republic of Lithuania citizenship requirement shall be waived for public employees, who are residents of the Republic of Lithuania, as well as to nationals of the following states:
1) Member States of the European Union or states who are parties to the Europe (Association) Agreements with the European Communities and their Member States, provided they do not apply the nationality requirement to citizens of the Republic of Lithuania in analogouscases;
2) Member States of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO), provided they do not apply the nationality requirement to citizens of the Republic of Lithuania in analogous cases.
5. The Lithuanian language proficiency requirement shall be waived for public employees performing economic or technical functions.
6. The following persons shall not be eligible for the Civil Service:
1) those convicted of major crimes or crimes against the Civil Service;
2) those who, pursuant to this Law, have been dismissed from the Civil Service for misconduct in office unless 10 years have elapsed since the dismissal;
3) the former staff officers of the USSR State Security Committee (NKVD, NKGB, MGB, KGB), pursuant to the stipulations of the Law on the Assessment of the USSR State Security Committee (NKVD, NKGB, MGB, KGB) and the Current Activities of the Staff Officers of this Organisation.
7. Restrictions referred to in paragraph 6(1) and 6(2) of this Article shall be waived when recruiting public employees.
Source: Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania, Document Search