MINELRES: EUMAP seeks: Researcher - Czech Republic, Equal access to quality education for Roma
Fri Aug 18 09:14:23 2006
Original sender: Joost van Beek <email@example.com>
EUMAP SEEKS: RESEARCHER - CZECH REPUBLIC
For immediate engagement!
For the monitoring project
'EQUAL ACCESS TO QUALITY EDUCATION FOR ROMA'
The Open Society Institute's EU Monitoring and Advocacy Program (EUMAP)
is currently monitoring Equal access to quality education for Roma in
the nine European countries participating in the Decade of Roma
Inclusion. Its main aims are to assess the implementation of government
policies on education for Roma, with special attention to desegregation;
provide data on key education indicators; promote consultation with Roma
communities on education issues; and establish the framework for regular
monitoring throughout the Decade. The monitoring will complement the
aims of the Decade and monitoring will include the education goals
established in the Decade countries. Further information and project
methodology is available at:
EUMAP is currently seeking a Researcher to prepare a literature review
for the Czech Republic, starting immediately.
The Researcher will be under the direct supervision of the EUMAP Project
Manager and will be expected to prepare research based on the EUMAP
"desk review" methodology by 30 September 2006.
Sources to be consulted for the desk review should include, but are not
limited to, the following:
* Roma Decade country action plans;
* Ministry of Education regulations and policy documents;
* Official statistics and educational statistics including census data;
* Publications released by national research institutes and individual
* Reports of international and domestic NGOs including programme
* Data and publication released by UN agencies: UNDP, UNICEF, World
* State reports under the Framework Convention for National Minorities
and the European Convention on Regional or Minority Languages;
* Policy documents such National Action Plans for combating social
* Cases of discrimination in education brought to courts or to national
* Relevant mass media materials.
The researcher will work with EUMAP editors to solicit review and
critique of the research, through the organisation of a national
roundtable, with participation of experts from civil society, academia,
The researcher's engagement may be extended to include additional
aspects of the monitoring process, by agreement with EUMAP.
* Experience in preparing human rights research and analytical reports;
* Significant and broad experience working with, or writing on, Roma
* General knowledge of education issues in the Czech Republic;
* Excellent Czech language ability;
* Good writing skills in English.
EUMAP is based in Budapest, but the team will conduct their work in the
Czech Republic. The selected candidate will be required to travel to
Budapest as necessary (costs covered). The reporter will receive a fee
on conditions to be specified in an OSI contract.
Please submit a CV and cover letter, in English, including reference to
any relevant publications to:
with "Czech Researcher" in the subject line. Further information on EUMAP
is available at:
Applications will be accepted until the position is
This message was sent using Endymion MailMan.