MINELRES: Post of Executive Director of the European Roma Information Office
Mon Nov 8 09:14:07 2004
Original sender: Valeriu Nicolae <email@example.com>
Post of Executive Director of the European Roma Information Office
ERIO was established in 2003 as a Roma organisation for lobbying and
advocacy work in European Union (EU) institutions. ERIO is a young,
independent non-governmental organisation aimed at promoting the full
and equal participation of Roma in Europe, and especially in European
Union development policies and practice.
ERIO's mission is to bring to reality EU Member States and candidate
countries' undertakings to fully and equally integrate their Roma
ERIO's working methods are networking, information exchange, policy
analysis, lobbying and advocacy. ERIO's presence in Brussels allows for
permanent contacts with the institutions of the European Union. Through
ERIO, Roma NGOs in Europe will especially benefit from direct contact
and influence with the European institutions.
The Executive Director will be a senior Roma professional with a
background in managing NGOs operating at the strategic level. His/her
main objective will be to continue supporting the development of a
lobbying and advocacy capacity in key European institutions. He/she will
have at least two years experience working under a board of directors to
whom he/she will report. He/she will have international
JOB DESCRIPTION OF THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR:
- Take responsibility for the preparation, implementation, monitoring
and evaluation of the programme of activities, including budgetary
aspects, in accordance with the objectives defined by the Board of ERIO.
- Develop ERIO's policy positions, as approved by the Board, on issues
which ERIO will lobby for.
- Maintain an extensive network of contacts in the Roma movement and in
the relevant institutions of the EU.
- Regularly participate in or convene briefings/meetings and exchanges
of views with European institutions and other related organisations.
- Develop a medium to long-term advocacy programme based on an analysis
of needs and opportunities and Board-approved policy positions.
- Provide leadership and direction to ERIO's staff: lead and motivate
staff; facilitate internal communication; foster co-operation, team
spirit and a harmonious working environment with a view to increased
- Report to the Board of ERIO on a regular basis on the results
achieved, on the budgetary development, on further requirements, risks
and opportunities of developments or events.
Candidates applying for the post of Executive Director should meet the
following essential requirements:
- Experience in working with international organisations involved in
- At least two years of experience of NGO management at director or
equivalent level. This includes proven experience in developing and
managing a substantial budget and dealing with supporting grants from
- Ability to work under a Board of Directors.
- Knowledge and understanding of Roma issues across Europe, with special
emphasis on countries in transition.
- Sensitive approach to the Roma constituencies.
- Analytical capacities, ability to identify key policy trends and to
set priorities. Ability to identify strategic opportunities for advocacy
and lobbying and to produce position papers.
- Good communication skills, including the capacity to communicate on
complex social concepts and development issues.
- Ability to engage in high-level negotiations with EU and other
international organisation representatives.
- Initiative and responsibility, result orientation and sense of
continuous improvement, concern for quality and efficiency,
- Proven ability to manage and coach staff.
- Personal values: integrity, loyalty, discretion, self-confidence,
respect of diversity.
- Fluency in at least three European languages. Romani desirable and
fluent English essential.
Applications deadline is 30th of November and applications should be
sent to firstname.lastname@example.org