Law No. 84/1995 republished
Education for persons belonging to national minorities
Persons belonging to national minorities have the right to study and receive instruction in their mother tongue, at all levels and forms of education with appropriate request, according to the present law.”
(1) Taking into account local needs, groups, classes, sections or school units with teaching in the languages of national minorities may be established, at request and in accordance with the provisions of this law.
(2) Paragraph (1) of this article shall be implemented without prejudice to the learning of the official language and the teaching in this language.
(1) In primary schools Romanian Language and Litera-ture is taught according to curricula and textbooks specially conceived for the respective minority. In middle schools Romanian Language and Literature is taught according to identical curricula as for grades with tuition in Romanian, but from special textbooks. In secondary schools Romanian Language and Literature curricula and textbooks are identical as for grades with tuition in Romanian.
(2) In primary schools with tuition in the languages of national minorities, the History of the Romanians and the Geography of Romania are taught in these languages, according to identical curricula and textbooks as for the grades with tuition in Romanian; it is compulsory to transcribed and acquired the toponymy and Romanian proper names. In middle schools and in secondary schools, the History of the Romanians and the Geography of Romania are taught in Romanian, according to the same curricula and the same textbooks as for the grades with tuition in Romanian. Examination in the History of the Romanians and the Geo-graphy of Romania shall be taken in the language in which it was studied.
(3) In curricula and textbooks of world history and the History of the Romanians the history and the traditions of national minorities in Romania shall be also reflected.
(4) In middle school the subject of study the History and the traditions of national minorities shall be introduced, at request, in the mother tongue.
Pupils belonging to national minorities that attend schools with tuition in Romanian shall be granted, at request and according to the present law, the study of the Language and the literature of the mother tongue as well as the history and traditions of the respective national minority, as school subjects.
In public vocational, secondary, and specialized post-secondary education where specialist training is provided in the mother tongue, at request and according to the present law, it is compulsory to acquire the special terminology in Romanian language as well.
(1) Within higher educational institutions run by the state, groups, sections, colleges, faculties teaching in mother tongue may be organized, according to the law, at request. In this case, the acquiring of the specialized terminology in Romanian language shall be assured. At request and accoring to law, multicultural higher educational institutions can be established. The languages of teaching shall be determined in the foundation law.
(2) Persons belonging to national minorities shall have the right to set up and manage their own private higher educational institutions according to the law.
(3) Institutions of higher education with multicultural structures and activities shall be encouraged for promotion of harmonious inter-ethnic relations and of integration both at national and European level.
(4) All Romanian citizens can register and study at all educational forms teaching in Romanian or in the languages of national minorities irrespective to his mother tongue or to the language in which they studied previously.
In education at all levels entrance and graduation (school leaving) examinations can be taken in the language in which the respective subject matters have been studied, according to the present law.
The Ministry of National Education provides the training and the further training of the teaching staff, as well as the school textbooks and other didactic material.
The teaching staff belonging to national minorities shall be proportionally represented in the managing boards of educational units and institutions with classes, sections and groups providing tuition in the languages of national minorities, in compliance with their professional competence.
Source: Government of Romania, Department for Protection of National Minorities