Law No. 215
on Local Public Administration
23 April 2001
(3) The works of the meetings are conducted in Romanian, the official language of the state. In the local councils where the councillors belonging to a national minority represent at least one third of the total number, their mother tongue may also be used at the council meetings. In these cases, the mayor shall see to it that a Romanian translation is provided. In all cases, the documents of the council meetings shall be drafted in Romanian.
In the administrative-territorial units where the proportion of the citizens belonging to a national minority is above 20% of the population, the normative decisions shall also be brought to the notice of citizens in the language of those minorities, while the individual ones are communicated, to request, in the mother tongue as well.
(1) In relations between citizens and the authorities of the local public administration the language used shall be Romanian.
(2) In the administrative territorial units where the proportion of the citizens belonging to a national minority is above 20% of the population, in their relations with the authorities and staff of the local public administration citizens belonging to national minorities may also communicate, orally or in writing, in their mother tongue and they shall be answered both in Romanian and in the mother tongue.
(3) Under the provisions of paragraph (2), persons who know the mother tongue of the citizens belonging to the respective minority shall be employed for duties involving public relations.
(4) The authorities of the local public administration shall ensure the displaying of the names of localities and public institutions within their authority, as well as the posting up of notices of public interest in the mother tongue of the citizens belonging to the respective minority, under the provisions of paragraph (2).
(5) Official documents are required to be drafted in Romanian.
Source: Unofficial translation
Official Gazette of Romania, No. 204, 23 April 2001