CABINET OF MINISTERS OF THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA
|22 August, 2000, Riga||Regulations No. 288|
Regulations on ensuring interpretation in events
Issued according to Part 2 and 3, Article 11
of the State Language Law
1. These Regulations determine in which cases organisers have to ensure interpretation of foreign languages into the state language at events, organised in Latvia, in addition to cases, provided for by Part 1 of Article 11 of the State Language Law, as well as the cases when the State Language Centre may exempt organisers of an event from providing interpretation into the state language.
2. At events, organised by private institutions, organisations, enterprises (companies), physical persons or international institutions, the organizer of the event ensures interpretation of information that concerns legitimate public interests (connected to public safety, health, morals, health care, protection of consumer rights and labour rights, workplace safety and public administrative supervision) into the state language, as well as provides versatile and complete information about the organised event.
3. The State Language Centre may exempt the organiser of an event from the interpretation of foreign languages into the State language, if foreign physical and legal persons participate in the event, and in organisation of this event have participated also state and municipal institutions, courts and institutions belonging to the judicial system, state and municipal enterprises, as well as companies, where the state or municipality holds the largest share of the capital, if:
4. The decision of the State Language Centre can be appealed according to the procedure provided by legislative acts.
5. The regulations take effect as of September 1, 2000.
|Minister of Justice||I.Labucka|
Source: Unofficial translation