CABINET OF MINISTERS OF THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA
|22 August, 2000, Riga||Regulations No. 291|
The Procedure of Certifying Document Translations into the State Language
Issued according to Part 3, Article 10
of the State Language Law
1. These regulations shall stipulate the procedure of certification of the translation into the state language of a document, to be issued on the territory of Latvia, if legislative acts do not require submitting the translation of such a document, certified by a Notary Public, or establish another procedure.
2. It is forbidden to certify:
3. The requirement of binding pages, stamp imprint and signature of a competent official shall not be applied to a document the author of which is a physical person.
4. State and municipal institutions, courts and the institutions belonging to the judicial system, as well as state and municipal enterprises (companies) (hereafter – institutions) shall consider a document in a foreign language if a physical or juridical person has submitted the document according to the competency of the institution, by adding also a translation of the document in the state language.
5. Only the original document or its derivative (copy, extract or duplicate) that has been certified by a Notary Public may be submitted to an institution.
6. Certifying correctness of the translation of a document, the translator on the last page after the text draws up a certification inscription in the state language that shall contain:
7. For the losses incurred due to incorrectness of the translation, translator shall be responsible according to the Civil Code.
8. Implementation of these Regulations shall be supervised by the State Language Centre.
9. These regulations shall take effect on September 1, 2000.
|Minister of Justice||I.Labucka|
Source: Unofficial translation