REPUBLIC OF BULGARIA
Law for the Degree of Education, the General Education Minimum, and the Education Plan
Promulgated - State Gazette (SG) No.67 from 27 July 1999
(1) The general education shall be determined by the designation of the Bulgarian school to ensure for each Bulgarian citizen the opportunity to develop him/herself.
(2) The general education shall be built on the principles of respecting:
The basic objectives of the general education shall be:
The general education in the Bulgarian school shall be implemented by studying subjects grouped in the following cultural - education fields:
(1) The structure of the education plan shall comprise three types of education: compulsory, obligatory selectable and freely selectable.
(2) The compulsory education shall ensure the achievement of the general education minimum.
(3) The obligatory selectable education shall ensure additional education within the framework of study subjects of the cultural - education fields of art. 10, corresponding to the interests and the individual capabilities of the students. In the obligatory selectable education shall be included the studying of the mother tongue according to Art. 8, para 2 of the National Education Act.
(4) The freely selectable education shall ensure education in fields and activities proposed by the school and chosen by the students which could be also outside of the cultural - education fields of art. 10. It shall be with duration up to four study hours weekly for all years according to the education plan and is not compulsory for the students.
Source: Unofficial translation